Financial Aid For Canada Schools

  • Financing Graduate Education

    Financial Aid For Canada Schools

    For Residents of Canada and International Students Going to School in Canada

    Major External Granting Agencies

    1. Natural Sciences and Engineering
    Research Council (NSERC)
    Postgraduate Scholarships:
    Scholarships and Fellowships Division
    350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H5
    • Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la nature et les technologies
        Québec residents only:
    140, Grande allée est, bureau 450, Québec (QC) G1R 5M8
    418-643-8560; Fax 418-643-1451
    • Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Doctoral Fellowships:
    Fellowships Division
    350 Albert Street, PO Box 1610
    Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6G4
    • Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)
    International and Canadian Programs
    Canadian Awards Program
    Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada (AUCC)
    350 Albert Street - Suite 600, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1
    (613) 563-1236,
    There are many more fellowships available; for complete details contact the Office of Fellowships or Student Financial Aid at the graduate school you are planning to attend.
    • Departmental and Faculty Awards are administered by the individual academic departments. Students should contact the Graduate Studies Coordinator or Director of the specific department they intend to study in for more information.
    • Research and Teaching Assistantships are available at most graduate schools. Graduate students are paid salaries to help in conducting undergraduate classes and laboratories. Contact the various departments at the graduate school you plan to attend.
    • Loans and Bursaries. Canada Student Loans and provincial student loans are available to Canadian citizens and some permanent residents of Canada on the basis of financial need exclusively. Several provinces augment their loan programs with a forgiveness program to help students reduce their debt loads. Information is available through the Ministry of Education of each province, including:
    Ontario residents:
    Ministry of Education and Training
    Student Affairs Branch, P.O. Box 4500
    Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 6G9
    Quebec residents:
    Ministere de l’Education du Quebec D.G.A.F.E.
    1035, rue De La Chevrotière, Québec (Québec)  G1R 5A5
    • Information for International Students Going to Canadian Graduate Schools. For information on sources of funding and general information for international students going to school in Canada contact:
    Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE)
    220 Laurier St. West, Suite 1550, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P 5Z9
    613-237-4820. Fax 613-237-1073
    • Always check with the fellowships and/or student financial aid office at the graduate school you will be attending for complete financial aid information; and deadlines, application forms, eligibility, etc.
    Special Note:
    Some graduate schools in the United States, particularly those in the vicinity of the Canadian border, offer special financial aid packages to residents of Canada. Contact the graduate admissions office to see if these incentives are available to you.

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our Graduate School Newsletter for Graduate Program News

Form is temporarily not available. Please visit our contact page.